Written by FRESH IRC PODCAST (@SS_2FRESH on Twitter)
As we close out May and enter June, the super slow period of sports kicks in. This week will see the NBA Finals tip off, as well as the puck being dropped on the Stanley Cup Playoff Conference Finals. The championship chases will be paired with the French Open Finals, PGA Tour, MLB and MLS. Outside of those campaigns, the calendar is empty unless you want to capture some mini-camp and OTA action for your favorite NFL Franchise.
The NBA Finals tip off this week between the Golden State Warriors and the Boston Celtics. Is this the official return of the Splash Brothers or the final arrival for the Celtics youth movement?
- Game 1 Boston at Golden State Thursday, June 2nd
- Game 2 Boston at Golden State Sunday, June 5th
The Western Conference Finals have been set between the Colorado Avalanche and Edmonton Oilers for a few days. The Eastern Conference Finals will commence a little later, but we will get a Game 7 between the Rangers and Hurricanes. The Tampa Bay Lightning are enjoying 10 plus days of rest as they await their opponent.
- Game 7 Rangers at Hurricanes Monday, May 30th
- Game 1 Western Conference Finals: Oilers at Av’s Tuesday, May 31st
- Game 2 Western Conference Finals: Oilers at Av’s Thursday, June 2nd
- Game 3 Western Conference Finals: Av’s at Oilers Saturday, June 4th
- Game 1 Eastern Conference Finals: Lightning at TBD Wednesday, June 1st
- Game 2 Eastern Conference Finals: Lightning at TBD Friday, June 3rd
- Game 3 Eastern Conference Finals: TBD at Lightning Sunday, June 5th
The first 2 months of the season are in the books and we enter June. The Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, Astros, Brewers and Angels have all played at a high level so far. There are a few series this week that will test contenders.
- San Francisco Giants at Philadelphia Phillies May 30th – June 1st
- Los Angeles Angels at New York Yankees May 31st – June 2nd
- Chicago White Sox at Toronto Blue Jays May 31st – June 2nd
- New York Mets at Los Angeles Dodgers June 2nd – June 5th
The MLS season is off for the International break, but the US Men’s National Team sees action this week. The USMNT will play 2 friendlies this week in prep for 2 CONCACAF Nations League matches next week. These few matches will be the last matches before pre-World Cup exhibition matches in the Fall.
- USMNT vs Morocco June 1st 7:30pm ESPN2
- USMNT vs Uruguay June 5th 5pm FOX
- Vancouver vs Real Salt Lake June 4th
The French Open moves into the second week of action. In a rare occurrence, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal will meet in the Quarterfinals on May 31st at 2:45pm. You can follow all the matches on the Tennis Channel as well as NBC Universal and Peacock.
NCAA SOFTBALL WORLD SERIES:
- UCLA, TEXAS, OKLAHOMA, NORTHWESTERN, FLORIDA, OREGON STATE, OKLAHOMA STATE, and ARIZONA.
NCAA BASEBALL REGIONALS:
- TENNESSEE, GEORGIA SOUTHERN, TEXAS, EAST CAROLINA, TEXAS A&M, LOUISVILLE, FLORIDA, VA TECH, STANFORD, MARYLAND, UNC, OKLAHOMA STATE, MIAMI, SOUTHERN MISS, AUBURN, OREGON STATE.
As the sports calendar continues to turn and draw closer to football season, tune into The Irrational Confidence Podcast (@IRConfidencePod on Twitter). We have a lot of football podcasts coming in the next few weeks.