It happens multiple times every year…NFL fans yelling, kicking, screaming, tweeting in anger of a move their squad makes. Every fan truly believes they know how to run their favorite team better than anyone else, so when the front office goes in their own direction, they let their frustrations out. There isn’t a fan base that hasn’t experienced the “What the BLEEP did We just do?”or “that’s the worst draft pick in the history of the draft!” moment. In preparation for the 2023 NFL Draft, I reached out to friends who cheer for the Bears, Falcons, Jets, Patriots, Broncos, Browns, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Bengals, Colts and Bills for their opinion on what they think the worst decision for their team would be. I took their fandom expertise and then evaluated the remaining teams to prepare the list below detailing a 2023 Doomsday Draft Weekend for each fan base.
If you are looking for positional rankings of the draft eligible players on offense and defense, we have you covered at Spinnable Sports. You can also find my Top 105 NFL Draft Prospects, Day 3 Gems on Offense & Defense and draft needs for every division in the same spot. My 3 Round Mock Draft takes us from pick #1 to pick #102. The Irrational Confidence Podcast (@IRConfidencePod on Twitter) will be dropping our Live Mock Draft Episode very soon. You can find The Irrational Confidence Podcast on any podcast platform as well as the Spinnable Sports YouTube Channel.
- TRADING DOWN FROM 3 AND MISSING OUT ON WILL ANDERSON JR, JALEN CARTER, CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ OR DEVON WITHERSPOON
- DRAFTING AN OFFENSIVE TACKLE OR QB AT 8TH OVERALL AND NOT SELECTING JALEN CARTER, CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ, DEVON WITHERSPOON OR NOLAN SMITH
- TRADING LAMAR JACKSON IS THE OBVIOUS CHOICE.
- NOT TRADING FOR DeANDRE HOPKINS OR NOT DRAFTING JORDAN ADDISON, ZAY FLOWERS, JOSH DOWNS OR QUENTIN JOHNSTON
- DRAFTING ANTHONY RICHARDSON, ESPECIALLY AFTER GIVING UP SO MUCH TO MOVE UP TO 1
- DRAFTING A QB OR CORNERBACK AT 9TH OVERALL WITH JALEN CARTER, PETER SKORONSKI, PARIS JOHNSON JR OR BRODERICK JONES STILL ON THE BOARD.
- TRADING JOE MIXON AND/OR TEE HIGGINS
- TRADING NICK CHUBB
- PASSING ON BIJAN ROBINSON, DALTON KINCAID, MICHAEL MAYER OR DARNELL WASHINGTON
- TRADING AWAY PATRICK SURTAIN JR, JERRY JEUDY AND/OR CORTLAND SUTTON
- GAMBLING ON THE FUTURE AND DRAFTING WILL LEVIS OR ANTHONY RICHARDSON AT 6TH OVERALL, BUT DON’T BET ON IT!
GREEN BAY PACKERS:
- TRADING AARON RODGERS FOR SIGNIFICANTLY LESS THAN HIS VALUE (ex 43RD OVERALL & 6TH RD PICK).
- NOT SELECTING BRYCE YOUNG OR CJ STROUD AT #2 OVERALL
- TRADING UP TO #2 OVERALL TO DRAFT ANTHONY RICHARDSON OR WILL LEVIS OR EVEN DRAFTING EITHER AT 4.
- DRAFTING BRYAN BREESE OR TRADING DOWN OUT OF THE 1ST ROUND
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS:
- NOT DRAFTING A WR IN THE FIRST 2 ROUNDS….TOUGH TO FIND A “DOOMSDAY SCENARIO” FOR THE REIGNING CHAMPS
LOS ANGELES CHARGERS:
- TRADING AUSTIN EKELER
LOS ANGELES RAMS:
- SO MANY ROSTER HOLES, SO THE ONLY REAL DISASTER SCENARIO IS TRADING AARON DONALD OR HE RETIRES
LAS VEGAS RAIDERS:
- DRAFTING LEVIS OR RICHARDSON WHEN THEY HAVE SO MANY OTHER ROSTER CONCERNS
- NOT DRAFTING OR TRADING FOR A STARTING TIGHT END
- TRADING DALVIN COOK
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS:
- DRAFTING A QB OR RB IN THE FIRST 2 ROUNDS
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS:
- A TON OF ROSTER DEPTH CONCERNS, SO ONLY ISSUE WOULD BE TRADING BACK OUT OF THE 1ST RD
NEW YORK GIANTS:
- PASSING ON WR’S ZAY FLOWERS, JOSH DOWNS, QUENTIN JOHNSTON OR JORDAN ADDISON IF THEY ARE ON THE BOARD WHEN THEY PICK.
NEW YORK JETS:
- SEEING AARON RODGERS GET TRADED TO ANOTHER TEAM
- NOT DRAFTING BIJAN ROBINSON IF HE’S ON THE BOARD AT 10TH OVERALL
- NOT DRAFTING JOEY PORTER JR, DARNELL WRIGHT, TYREE WILSON, OR DEONTE BANKS IF THEY ARE ON THE BOARD
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS:
- TRADING TREY LANCE AND GOING FORWARD WITH SAM DARNOLD AND A RECOVERING BROCK PURDY
- PASSING ON JALEN CARTER AT 5TH OVERALL TO DRAFT WILL LEVIS OR ANTHONY RICHARDSON
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS:
- TRADING DEVIN WHITE
- TRADING DERRICK HENRY
- DRAFTING ANTHONY RICHARDSON OR HENDON HOOKER IN THE 1ST ROUND
There are a bunch of different scenarios that will send fans off the edge and screaming via social media. If a third of these go from hypothetical to reality, the fury will be flowing. Buckle up and hold on, the NFL Draft is almost here and the dramatic theater is about to unfold.
A major thanks to all my friends who offered their State of the Franchise and what they don’t want to unfold!